The City museum is located in the former granary of the city, which is composed of two large half-timbered buildings. Carved on a supporting beam of the older building is the year 453.
In 1512, the second building was added and both buildings were made taller in the 16th and 17th centuries. Grain was traded in the hall on the first floor, but it was rarely stored there.
Starting in the 16th century, the upper floors were used to put on theater productions, celebrate parties, as well as teach fencing and dancing. In the 17th century the building was used as a German boys’ school and in 1823 a secondary school moved in.
In 1991, the City Museum was able to move into the newly renovated granary. On display are exhibits chronicling the 900-year history of the city. In addition to the permanent exhibits on the city’s history and the silhouette artist Lotte Reiniger, the museum presents special exhibitions on topics such as city history, important personalities, current developments in the city, or the general history of art and culture.
Tues–Sun: 11 a.m.–5 p.m.
Public Guided Tours: Sun at 3 p.m.