Logo Tübingen

Bebenhausen Castle and Monastery 

Ora et labora

Kloster und Schloss Bebenhausen

Bebenhausen resides on an exceptional rural landscape.  Also known as 'The Pearl of Schönbuch', the whole city has been listed and preserved as a historic monument since 1975.  The Bebenhausen monastery is one of the most important Cistercian monasteries in Southwest Germany. It was first documented in 1190 and very much  reflects middle age architecture. Luckily, the medieval enclosure and monastery buildings have been almost perfectly preserved over the years. The Summer Refectory (1335) and the notable crossing tower of the monastery church (1407–09) are masterpieces of gothic construction and design.

The Abbot’s residence was converted to hunting quarters in 1807 by the last royal couple of the Württemberg region: Wilhelm II and Charlotte. The Castle served as their residence in exile. Wilhelm II of Württemberg lived here from 1918 until his death in 1921 and his wife Charlotte until she died in 1946. From 1947–1952 the buildings served as the seat of the state legislature of Württemberg-Hohenzollern.

Opening Hours Monastery April to October Mon–Sun 9 a.m.–6 p.m., November to March Tues–Sun 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Castle open only for tours

Guided Tours Monastery April to October Sat, Sun and on holidays 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Private tours can be organized on request. Castle April to October Tues–Sun and on holidays 10 a.m.–5 p.m., November to March Tues–Sun and on holidays 11 a.m.–4 p.m. Private tours can be organized on request                 

Directions 6 km from Tübingen L 1208 heading towards Böblingen. Car park is located just before Bebenhausen. Bus lines 826 and 828 depart every hour from the Tübingen train station

Information Schloss Bebenhausen, Im Schloss, 72074 Tübingen
Tel . + 49 (0)7071-60 28 02, info@kloster-bebenhausen.de
www.kloster-bebenhausen.de